With Lent only a few days away, some of you may be scrambling to find family friendly meatless meals for Ash Wednesday and each Friday. My family goes meatless every Friday all year long, so I thought I would share some of our favourite options.
My go to Friday dinner is, of course, fish. Either batter/boxed from the frozen food section or just some vacuum packed salmon fillets. Usually served with brown rice and a vegetable. But when I am feeling more creative, here is what we enjoy:
– fish tacos (any light white fish, broken up in a fry pan, seasoned with salt and pepper, served with coleslaw and a mayo/lime/garlic sauce)
-stirfry (so easy to adjust to your families’ likes, using fish, shrimp, or even just veggies. make it even easier by using a jarred Asian style sauce, or this easy sweet and sour recipe, and serve over noodle or rice)
– veggie pizza (either homemade, frozen, or ordered in, this is always an easy option that everyone will love)
– Mexican anything (we love tacos, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, taquitos….the list goes on. Take your fav recipe and make it meat less by using black beans instead)
– loaded sweet potatoes (again with the Mexican theme, these potatoes are delicious and an unexpected way to use a sweet potato!)
– veggie chili (a take on a Racheal Ray recipe, this one fro my other blog is a family favourite for sure)
– Pasta (kids love pasta dishes, so this is great for the little ones that might be picker. Just about any pasta shape and sauce will do, try a favourite recipe, just without the meat, or this favourite one from my family)
These are just a few of our favourites for those meatless nights. I would love to hear some of your go to meatless meals, especially if you have picker eaters like my kids are sometimes.